Whether you have a curious little one or you are just looking to explore more about the world around you, both Dallas and Houston have incredible museums, zoos and science centers that help to educate, inform and entertain visitors.
The Dallas Zoo is an incredible resource for people seeking to learn more about wildlife and the world. Early childhood programs, night programs, family programs and more help the zoo connect with schools and individuals for educational purposes. Starting young, the Stroller Buddies program connects parents and guardians with children, ranging in age from 10 months to two years, to programs and classes with natural materials.
Other unique opportunities to learn at the Dallas Zoo include:
- Youth Opportunities, including junior zookeeper positions, park ambassador roles and more
- Night Programs, featuring walks and campouts at the zoo
- Wild Adventures camps, built for pre-K through fifth grade students to get a hands-on animal education
- Scout Badge programs to help eager youths bolster their scouting resumes
- Family Zoo Adventures, which provides groups with an opportunity to learn about nature together through learning tree identification, building enrichment materials for animals and more
Dallas is also home to a wide variety of museums, including everything from art to science and history, which provide unique opportunities for educational outings.
Some of these incredible venues include:
- Perot Museum of Nature and Science, which features special educational seminars for children and adults
- Dallas Holocaust Museum, where opportunities include the chance to speak to survivors of the Holocaust
- Dallas Museum of Art, where you can check out a creative workshop to create your own art
- Frontiers of Flight Museum, where you can experience a STEM camp or special tour
- Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, opportunity to learn the history on JFK’s assassination
Space Center Houston, showcasing information and materials from NASA’s trips into outer space, is the ideal Texas destination if you are interested in exploring the universe. Overnight experiences, camps, and special events are plentiful at this incredible destination, and the Center’s educational opportunities are not limited by age or experience.
Opportunities at Space Center Houston include:
- Space Center U, a camp for people with curious minds, including an educator program and a program for people with visual impairments
- Explorer camps, including accessibility camps, for robotics and engineering
- Stars & STEM, a program for students in kindergarten through high school seeking more science, technology, engineering and math opportunities
- Outreach programs, bringing space experiences to classrooms
- Special events, where you can meet an astronaut, view the moon through high-powered telescopes, and more
Houston is filled with venues that contribute to enriching education for children and adults, specializing in everything from wildlife to fire department history.
Don’t miss these Houston museums:
- Children’s Museum of Houston, with professional development days, sensory friendly days, and other options to help create a safe learning environment
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, where lectures, tours and more help you learn more about the art world
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science, renowned for its hall of dinosaurs, butterfly center and the George Observatory
- Houston Fire Museum, where children can participate in annual fire safety contests
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, where you can take part in natural explorer programs, photography courses, plants and gardening classes
No matter what your favorite hobby or interest is, Dallas and Houston have unique museums, galleries and more to help you explore and learn. What’s your favorite educational outing in Texas? Let us know!
Darling Homes is known for leaving a lasting impression in Dallas and Houston communities with highly rated locations, sophisticated plan designs and a commitment to providing the best in customer service. Whether you tour a model, purchase a home or are involved in the real estate business, Darling homes are simply unforgettable.
The high level of architectural authenticity and thoughtfully-designed transitions throughout make these distinctive designs easy to personalize and a pleasure to call home.
The Art of Living
Before construction begins, an entire team of homebuilding experts goes to work to ensure the home is built with the architectural touches that make Darling Homes unique. Design elements that demonstrate the art of living inside Darling homes include:
- Terminating views, where carefully designed rooms ensure privacy outside of the main living areas
- Thoughtful transition spaces, leaving room to breathe and move between rooms comfortably
- Understanding the homebuyer. Darling homes are built in a wide variety of designs to meet the needs and desires of customers, no matter what their stage of life
- Intimate volume, where varying ceiling heights create a peaceful, quiet atmosphere
Darling Homes is consistently adding new communities, floor plan designs and flexible options to meet the needs of homebuyers in Texas. In every home that Darling builds, the design is executed with intentional care to help build the next chapter of the owner’s life.
Innovative Darling Homes’ designs include features such as:
- The Darling Loop: This signature piece connects the master closet to the utility room in select homes, giving you unparalleled access to laundry for ease of housekeeping.
- Views of the backyard, open living spaces in the heart of the home and lofty living areas in many two-story designs create connected and vibrant atmosphere.
- Flexibility and functionality. Darling Design Galleries allow homebuyers to choose their ideal finishes.
- Kitchens that make use of the work triangle in the kitchen between the sink, pantry and fridge boost maximum productivity.
- Mud lockers available in select homes for extra organization.
Each Darling home design offers unique options from outdoor fireplaces and three-car garages to bay windows and downstairs media rooms. Ask us how you can personalize your dream home!
Darling Homes puts an emphasis on personalization to create a home that is uniquely yours. Every step of the way, from your first model home tour to receiving the keys to your dream home, there are homebuilding experts available to help create the home you’ve always wanted. Each home helps resident connect to each other and to the community, molding an atmosphere that feels comfortable from the moment you walk through the door.
Want more information on how to create your personalized dream home with Darling Homes? Please visit https://www.darlinghomes.com/experience to learn more about the Darling Difference.
Sugar Land Sweets
According to Buzzfeed News, Sugar Land residents are some of the luckiest in Texas – because they live right next to the best bakery in the state! The Anonymous Cafe is currently relocating to a larger space to keep up with the demand for its artisan bites.
Serving up traditional Greek desserts made from scratch, this mom-and-pop shop’s pastry menu includes:
- A variety of fresh fruit tarts
- Greek cookies
- Gourmet chocolate bars
- And more fresh treats changing every day!
For other delectable options in Sugar Land, head to Maureen’s Gourmet Bakery. This shop serves customers fresh cakes and pastries, with options to design and personalize cakes for special occasions.
Near Darling Homes’ communities in Conroe, you can find even more dessert shops to satisfy your cravings. At Aranda’s Bakery, you can indulge in amazing desserts with a Mexican flare. Offering cakes, empanadas, puff pastries, croissants and more, this bakery provides the chance to eat treats celebrating flavors from different cultures.
Don’t forget to try:
- Empanadas in flavors including pumpkin, guava and pineapple
- Tricolor shortbread cookies
- Watermelon shaped cookies
- Cinnamon croissants
- Snail shells with cream cheese and other mouth-watering options.
Sweets to Dream On is the premier destination for cakes in Conroe, with decadent designs and customizable features creating a truly unique dessert for each customer. Featured on TLC’s Ultimate Cake Off, this is the premier local destination for birthday cakes, wedding cakes and more!
A staple of Thanksgiving for many Texans is ending the feast with a delicious variety of pies. Luckily for McKinney residents, Emporium Pies is serving up seasonal flavors. Thanksgiving pre-ordering is available, and the shop’s current menu of original pie flavors includes:
- The Smooth Operator, a French silk pie with pretzel crust
- Lord of the Pies, a deep-dish apple with cinnamon streusel
- Drop Dead Gourdgeous, a pumpkin custard with gingerbread crust
- The Nutty Honey, a peanut butter cream and honey pie
- And more unique, delicious flavors!
For desserts other than pie, check out McKinney’s Sweet Spot. Homemade cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, cakes, pecan bars, cookies and scones help make this shop a top destination for dessert fans.
If you’ve ever wanted to eat a bowl of cookie dough, Grif’s Sammie Shop in Allen is the place for you! From raw, edible cookie dough to create-your-own ice cream sandwiches, this shop is a dream come true for dessert fans, featuring Blue Bell ice cream and homemade cookies.
While you’re at the shop, savor creative flavor combinations when trying:
- Homemade cookies, with flavors including snickerdoodle, chocolate chip, oatmeal toffee, black and white and more
- Twelve flavors of ice cream, including cotton candy, vanilla, coffee and sea salt caramel
- Edible cookie dough, available in chocolate chip and sugar
- Brownie bowls, shaped to hold your favorite flavor of ice cream
For cake, cupcakes, cake pops, available in almost any flavor you can imagine, check out Bliss Cupcakes. This shop is known for its scrumptious and well-decorated creations great for special occasions or those weekend sweet-tooth cravings.
Luckily for Texans, there are plenty of local bakeries available for sweet treats. Let us know your favorite place to pick up dessert!
Darling Homes are created with distinctive dining areas, perfect for hosting elegant dinner parties or gathering loved ones for special occasions. Now that the holiday season is just around the corner, it’s time to get your Darling home in Dallas or Houston ready to host the holidays!
No matter which holidays you celebrate – or if you just enjoy reuniting with loved ones as the year winds down – decorations can bring in hints of the season and make your home feel cozy and warm. From door wreaths to wall hangings and tablescapes to throw pillows, it’s simple to change out décor to reflect the holidays from Halloween to the New Year.
Need ideas for inspiration? Check out the Darling Homes’ Pinterest board for all things holiday-related, including ideas for:
- Themed wreaths
- Mantle decorations
- Front porch decorations
- Candle holders and more!
If you’re hosting your loved ones this holiday season, don’t worry – Darling Homes’ designs incorporate ample room in the common spaces for entertainment, while simultaneously providing homeowners with intentional privacy in master suites, guest suites and other bedrooms.
To make sure your guests are comfortable, take advice from Lee Crowder, Darling Homes’ Design Gallery and Model Home Branding Manager, on what creates the ideal guest space. Consider building a coffee or tea bar, giving visitors easy access and instructions to the WiFi and TV, and adding a basket filled with toiletries and other small necessities to ensure guests feel well-taken care of during their stay.
Set the Menu
When you’re preparing to host a holiday meal, consider asking guests for their dietary needs. Incorporating vegetarian or gluten-free options for guests with restricted diets can help everyone enjoy their holiday. Each holiday occasion is defined by different specialties, such as turkey or pie on Thanksgiving, but creating the ideal menu has never been easier. Darling Homes has compiled Pinterest boards for Delicious Dining and Thanksgiving Recipes to help you prepare to whip up a feast!
Some favorite recipe ideas include:
- Maple Dijon roasted carrots
- Savory pumpkin soup with chopped pecans
- Roasted fall vegetables
- Garlic green beans
- Bacon wrapped asparagus… and many more!
Seasonal décor, thoughtful menu selections and everything in between can help create a cozy and welcoming atmosphere while you host the holidays and build treasured memories with loved ones year after year.
As the weather cools down, people in Dallas and Houston are celebrating by heading outdoors for seasonal fun. Fall festivals in both cities are bringing in crowds to celebrate with autumn activities, seasonal food and more.
Autumn at the Arboretum has been crowned one of the top pumpkin festivals in the U.S. by Fodor’s Travel. This annual event in Dallas brings the city a taste of autumn with festivities running from late September through Nov. 21. The 31st annual event transports its visitors to a magical world with its Adventures in Neverland theme. The breathtaking gardens are transformed to fit the world of Peter Pan, with sights including the Lost Boys hideout and a pirate ship ready to explore.
Attractions at the arboretum during this festival include:
- Live music on weekends
- Harvest Tea
- Family fun weekend with trick-or-treating Oct. 27-28
- Pumpkin Village with over 90,000 pumpkins, squashes and gourds
- Children’s Adventure Garden
- Over 4,000 chrysanthemums
- 150,000 autumn-blooming plants and more!
In Lewisville, the Castle Hills Fall Festival is happening on Oct. 20, bringing visitors to the town for free, friendly fun from 5 to 8 p.m. All activities will have an autumn theme, and a DJ will keep the crowd energized throughout the festival. Food is available for purchase from popular local food trucks.
This festival features:
- Bounce houses
- Fall arts and crafts by Design Time art studio
- Pumpkin decorating
- Petting zoo and more!
In the Bishop Arts District, the Oak Cliff Pumpkinfest is having its fourth annual event on Oct. 28 from 4 to 8 p.m. Local musicians will be performing, and games will be available for the public to play along Bishop Ave. Be sure to get there by 5 p.m. to participate in the costume contest!
Other can’t-miss activities include:
- Magic show
- Face painting
- Punkin Chunkin’
- Pie walk at Emporium Pies and more!
The Houston Family Fun Festival is hosting a free event on Oct. 28. From noon to 4 p.m. at LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch in Katy, Houston Family Magazine will host this highly-anticipated event for everyone in the community to enjoy. Vendors vary at events throughout the year, making each fest a unique experience with different food, activities, locations and seasonal favorites.
Kids will adore the opportunity to indulge in face painting, arts and crafts, and more activities, including:
- Food trucks
- Rock climbing wall
- Door prizes
- Houston Family Magazine goodie bags
- Music and more!
If a countryside fall experience sounds appealing, check out Froberg’s Farm in Allen and its fall festival, running through Nov. 4, with a rustic setting providing the perfect scene for everything from duck races to corn mazes.
Don’t miss these activities on the farm:
- Berry Fun Land playground
- Gold panning
- Lighted hay rides, fire pits and more!
The Festival of Abilities, taking place in Houston from 3 to 7 p.m. on Oct. 28, offers a truly unique and all-inclusive experience. Proceeds from this event benefit the future Playground for All Abilities, which will be the first accessible adaptive playground in the region.
At this festival, try:
- Riding on SIRE therapeutic horses
- Costume contest
- Adaptive sports games
- Food court
- Art tile painting and more!