The holidays are here bringing plenty of reasons to entertain. From holiday gatherings with family and friends to posh parties to ring in the New Year, you’ll find plenty of ways to expand your space and enjoy the season by extending your festivities to the outdoors. Make your backyard merry and bright this holiday season with these tips from Darling Homes.
Create a Holiday-Themed Party They’ll Not Soon Forget
Holidays are always merry occasions, but ones that focus on a recognizable theme take the festivities to a new level. For an unforgettable holiday soiree inside and out, choose a theme your guests will go gaga over, such as:
- Holly and Elves with you and yours dressed for the occasion and plenty of holly to help spread the cheer!
- Cozy Comfort with traditional decorations in red and green for tried-and-true celebrations everyone will adore!
- Glitz and Glam with gold and silver decorations adorning your home, settings and serving dishes for a glamorous party to ring in the New Year.
Whatever your theme, extending the merrymaking outdoors is a great way to expand on the fun and give guests more space.
5 Tips for Making Your Holiday Party a Hit
- Set the stage for a spectacular evening. Renting extra lawn chairs and tables, as well as tablecloths and lanterns, are ideal ways to keep the party flowing. People who have more places to roam tend to stay longer and spend more time mingling with other guests. If weather may get in the way of your plans, consider adding a canopy or tent.
- Create warm surroundings where people can gather and mingle. Fire pits and patio fireplaces provide a warm and welcoming feel for a holiday gathering. Arrange seating around your outdoor fire feature to encourage your guests to relax and stay cozy. You can even provide materials to make s’mores for an extra sweet treat. If your yard doesn’t include a fireplace or fire-pit, consider renting stylish outdoor heaters for the occasion.
- Add extra lights for an enchanting effect. String lights from the back of your home across the yard for an extra light feature that’s as beautiful as it is practical. Likewise, adorn trees with glamorous globes in colors or white for an added touch that’s sure to get noticed.
- Set up a self-serve bar in your outdoor kitchen. It’s an easy way to make your guests feel welcome without adding ‘mixologist’ to your to-do list.
- Plan ahead with an area set with activities for kids to enjoy. Parents are often challenged to keep kids occupied at get-togethers and may even decide to change plans or leave early when there’s little to keep children entertained. Go from good hostess to great with these simple additions.
- Set up an area outside for kids to congregate with their own table adorned with cute, kid-friendly dishes, tablecloths and crafts. Creating wearable holiday masks is a traditional favorite. All that’s needed are crayons, safety scissors, string and washable glue for themed masks of reindeer, elves, and Santa and Mrs. Claus. Other simple craft ideas include candy cane reindeer made with string and googly eyes, creating paper ornaments and toys and, for older children, origami figures they can give as presents.
- Set up a table for cookie or gingerbread house decorating.
- Create a backyard scavenger hunt for little ones. Hide festive gifts and treats inside bushes and under seating to keep kids busy and provide them with fun toys to play with throughout the day.
- Have a television outside? Be ready with festive movies that are kid-favorites!
- Have lots of extra space? Consider renting a blow up bouncy house or a slide.
- And, always have a back-up plan. Be ready to bring the fun indoors on cold and blustery days.
With these tips for outdoor holiday hosting, you can make the most of every moment as you enjoy a day filled with the sights and sounds of the season.