Known as The City With No Limits, Houston is America’s fastest-growing metropolis and is the place to be this spring with world-renowned festivals you won’t want to miss.
Need an insider’s view on where to go and what to do? The folks at Darling Homes have put together great insider tips to help you get the most out of each experience, from Houston’s famous Livestock Show and Rodeo in March to its exciting Dragon Boat Festival in May.
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, from March 1 – 20, is one of Houston’s signature events. Held at NRG Stadium, this 20-day long festival of classic Southern fun benefits the youth of Texas, supports education and improves agricultural practices. With a variety of fun entertainment, from an exhilarating bull riding show to a parade and children’s carnival, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo offers events and activities fit for every age!
5 Great Things to Do
- See rodeo entertainment with cowboys and cowgirls competing in tie-down roping, bareback riding, team roping, saddle bronc riding, steer wrestling and more.
- Indulge in Southern cooking from smoked meats, brisket, chicken and a Dutch oven dessert from Chuck Wagon and Houston’s Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon.
- Experience Houston’s Premier Horse Show and see beautiful horse breeds compete in world champion events that is sure to surprise and delight.
- Enjoy kid-friendly activities and entertainment including a children’s carnival, pony rides and a petting zoo.
- Stick around for exciting concerts every night performed by country and pop superstars like Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert, Luke Bryan, Darius Rucker, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and so many more.
If you’re looking for a fun-filled day of great music, delicious food and lively entertainment, visit www.rodeohouston.com for tickets and more information.
Mcdonald’s Houston Children’s Festival
Celebrating its 28th year on April 23 – 24, the Mcdonald’s Houston Children’s Festival offers fun for the whole family with music, entertainment, celebrity appearances and more than 300 activities that are sure to thrill your little ones. Dedicated to educating the public about child abuse and the purpose of Child Advocates, this event has quickly grown into one of Houston’s great fundraisers and charitable events.
5 Great Things to Do
- See Baker Hughes’ Circus Town Zone with a giant space wheel, Cyr Spinning Wheel Acrobatics, trapeze stunts and a giant puppet palace for the kids to enjoy.
- Indulge in a variety of delicious, family friendly food for sale and vendors.
- Test your knowledge at the SABIC Super Science Zone with radical reactions, air adventures, a petting zoo and pony rides.
- Ride on the festival’s giant swing and carrousel.
- Take a tour through Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog or Gorton’s Smart & Crunchy Tour.
Guest Appearances from 2015 include Ronald McDonald, Disney Channel stars, Olivia Holt and Jordan Fisher, rising country singer, Kaylee Rutland and American Idol 2012 runner-up, Jessica Sanchez.
For more information, visit http://www.houstonchildrensfestival.com/tickets-info.
Houston Art Car Parade
Houston is a great destination for weekends filled with artistic talents and energetic participants. Designed for those who enjoy creativity and cars, this unique event combines inventive artistry and automobiles to create this one-of-a-kind Art Car Parade on April 7 – 10.
5 Things to Do
- See the Main Street Drag with eight unique caravans of brilliantly crafted art cars during the pre-parade art car convoy for a lively show.
- Dress up for the Legendary Art Car Ball and enjoy live performances from The Suspects, Sam “Shake” Anderson, Gio Chamba and more.
- Indulge in a delicious assortment of savory barbecue and beverages during the lively Art Car Ball.
- Experience the official parade with nearly 300 art cars, bikes and motorized vehicles cruising the streets of Houston during the 29th Art Car Parade.
- Delight in Houston’s Art Car Awards Ceremony where a panel of judges will honor and award the amazing talents and work from the art car artists.
To purchase tickets and for more information, visit http://www.thehoustonartcarparade.com/about-the-art-car-parade/.
Bayou City Art Festival
For one weekend, Houston-area residents are invited to attend a celebration of fine arts and culture at the 45th Bayou City Art Festival, from April 29 – May 1, featuring more than 300 pieces of diverse artwork. While you’re there, meet the talented artists as you tour beautiful, outdoor galleries.
5 Great Things to See and Do
- Experience Houston’s award-winning fine art festival featuring more than 300 pieces of beautiful artwork.
- Enjoy live performances from local musical groups and artists performing during the festival.
- Indulge in a delicious array of local foods from restaurant vendors including Indian, Chinese, BBQ and more.
- Meet the talented artists behind the artwork as you tour diverse galleries.
- Be a part of change. The Art Colony Association’s exceptional efforts and exciting festivals have raised approximately $3 million over the past 40 years to benefit local art and service organizations.
For more information, visit http://www.artcolonyassociation.org/.
Houston Dragon Boat Festival
Ever wondered what a Texas Dragon Boat Race would be like? We’ve got you covered! Enjoy a full day of lively entertainment, Art Cars, delicious food trucks and, of course, Dragon Boating at Brooks Lake at Fluor from May 7 – 8. This fantastic event is a must-see!
5 Exciting Things to See and Do
- See thrilling dragon boat races beginning every 15-20 minutes.
- Eat a variety of delicious food and drinks from local vendors, including hot dogs, burgers and cheesesteaks from Bernie’s Burger Bus, Koagie Hots, Pho-jita and sweet treats from Yeti Sunshine.
- Listen to live performances from local musical favorites.
- Observe Chinese cultural practices and traditions, martial arts, dances, Chinese Yo-Yo and more.
- Enjoy gorgeous views of Houston’s lush landscapes as dragon boats glide across the water against the Houston skyline.
For more information, visit http://www.texasdragonboat.com/.