10 Reasons You Need to Move to Houston
Houston, Texas. It’s America’s fourth-largest city chock full of world-class dining, art destinations, award-winning restaurants and that charming southern hospitality.
According to the Greater Houston Partnership, Houston was named No. 1 for corporate expansion and relocation by Site Selection Magazine. Texas was also named the “stickiest” state in the country, according to the Pew Research Center, meaning that more than three-quarters of adults who were born in Texas still live there.
If you’re planning on relocating, Houston may be the best city for you! Here’s a list of 10 reasons we feel best explain why you need to move to Houston.
1. The word “Houston” was the first word said on the moon. When Apollo 11 landed on the moon, Neil Armstrong reported, “Houston, Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed.”
2. The weather. While the northern part of the nation is experiencing sub-zero temperatures and heavy snow falls, Houstonians appreciate mild weather all year long with average winter temperatures in the 40s.
3. Sports. For those who enjoy attending professional sporting events, Houston is home to the Texans football team, Houston Astros baseball team, Houston Rockets men’s basketball, and Houston Dynamo soccer team.
4. If Houston were an independent nation, it would rank as the 30th largest economy in the world according to The City of Houston.
5. Dennis Quaid, ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons and Beyonce Knowles have all called Houston home.
6. Houston is known as the “Energy Capital of the World” according to The Greater Houston Partnership, and home to 40 of the nation’s 145 publicly traded oil and gas production firms.
7. Hungry diners can venture into the highly reputed restaurant Oxheart, included in Southern Living’s 2013 list of 100 Places to Eat Now and dubbed one of the five “hottest restaurant openings” in 2012 by GQ Magazine. The intimate restaurant is only open for dinner Thursday through Monday and only 26 seats are available. Guests can choose from a choice of three menus nightly.
8. The Woodlands. Those who are looking for a nature oasis outside of the city, can “Come Home to The Woodlands,” as the city slogan goes. Located north of Houston, the city houses several corporate campuses such as Chevron Phillips, Woodforest National Bank and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation. Darling Homes offers five communities in The Woodlands area. See them here.
9. If music is your passion, the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion is an outdoor amphitheater that features the Houston Symphony in the summer and the Houston Ballet. Ranked as the second-most used amphitheater in the world, it can house 19,500 people at once.
10. Harmony. This beautiful master-planned community is located in Spring, TX and is only minutes from the new Exxon campus. Highlights of this community include a nature preserve, hike and bike trails, playgrounds, a resort-style pool and recreation center.